I found this list floating around the internet, and everyone knows someone who has been homeless or has at least fallen on hard times at some point in their lives. So this was a MUST SHARE. Please don’t be ashamed to ask for help or go to a shelter if you of know of someone or are someone that is in dire need of any of the services items listed below. Homeless people matter too.
- Find your nearest food bank or mission, for food
- grocery stores with free samples, bakeries + stores with day-old bread
- different fast food outlets have cheaper food and will generally let you hang out for a while.
- some dollar stores carry food like cans of beans or fruit
- Sleeping at beaches during the day is a good way to avoid suspicion and harassment
- sleep with your bag strapped to you, so someone can’t steal it
- Some churches offer short term residence
- Find your nearest homeless shelter
- Look for places that are open to the public
- A large dumpster near a wall can often be moved so that flipping up the lids creates an angled shelter to stay dry
- A membership to the YMCA is usually only 10$, which has a shower, and sometimes laundry machines and lockers.
- Public libraries have bathrooms you can use
- Dollar stores carry low-end soaps and deodorant etc.
- Wet wipes are all purpose and a life saver
- Local beaches, go for a quick swim
- Some truck stops have showers you can pay for
- Staying clean is the best way to prevent disease, and potentially get a job to get back on your feet
- Pack 7 pairs of socks/undies, 2 outfits, and one hooded rain jacket
- first aid kit
- a travel alarm clock or watch
- mylar emergency blanket
- a backpack is a must
- downgrade your cellphone to a pay as you go with top-up cards
- sleeping bag
- travel kit of toothbrush, hair brush/comb, mirror
- swiss army knife
- can opener